Time. Time is something everyone has but special people choose to give some of theirs to helping others. If you are looking for a place to share your talents, please consider Jackson-Madison County General Hospital. There are over 400 active volunteers who help patients, visitors, and staff each day. Volunteers are people of all ages, from all walks of life, both men and women, who enjoy being of service and helping others.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at Jackson-Madison County General Hospital! JMCGH seeks excellence in all areas of care, including our volunteers. There are a few steps you need to complete before becoming a volunteer.
Before you begin to complete the eight (8) steps to become a volunteer, ask yourself these quick questions to insure you are able to fulfill the role of a volunteer:
- Be out of high school and over 18 years of age (if under 18, see Junior Volunteer information)
- Do I have time available and want to give back to the patients and families of JMCGH?
- Have I carefully considered my schedule and know that I can commit to volunteering once a week (four (4) hours) for at least three (3) months?
- Will I treat my volunteer responsibilities with the same respect that I do work obligations, committing to serve on a regular day and time?
- Do I enjoy working in new situations, taking on different duties or helping in additional ways based on the needs of the people around me?
- Am I comfortable making repeated trips to JMCGH to complete volunteer interviews, medical checks, and training (this may total as many as five trips to the hospital)?
- Do I have the positive attitude which is needed to be a part of our culture?
If you answered "yes" to all, please continue and print the application which is listed. If you answered "no" to any, it is possible that our organization may not meet your goals as a volunteer.
Now, please read the next grouping of statements.
- I hope that my volunteer work will lead to a paying job at JMCGH
- I hope to expand my social networking skills
- I want to gain clinical experience in an area I am pursuing a paid position or career
If any of the above statements is true then it may be possible that our organization may not meet your goals as a volunteer or meet the greater needs of our patients and their families. However, we invite you to consider serving our patients in other equally valuable ways which still demand a significant time commitment on your part.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Donate items/supplies
- Hospitality Houses, ER Dignity Closet, etc.
If you answered "yes" to all of the questions in the first list and none of the statements in the second list applied to you, then please fill out the application and proceed with the Eight Steps to Become a Volunteer (listed below).
Eight Steps to Become a Volunteer
- Print and complete the Volunteer Application and mail to Jackson-Madison County General Hospital, Guest Resources, 620 Skyline Drive, Jackson, TN 38301
- Coordinator will call you for a short interview
- Attend seven hour hospital orientation
- Pass criminal background check
- Provide copies of immunization records (at orientation)
- Complete two-step TB Skintest (part of orientation)
- Attend first-day training
- Volunteer four hours per week for at least three months
For more information, please call the Guest Resources Office at 731-541-6153.
For information about the Pre-Med Volunteer Program, call Carla Peaks at 731-426-1732 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Tammy Ward at 731-426-1723 or email her at email@example.com.