After being diagnosed or treated for heart disease, it may take several days to several months to feel back to normal. This is time to take charge of your health.
The most important guidelines to ensure a complete recovery include:
- Listen to your body. Be particularly alert to signs such as chest pain, fatigue, or shortness of breath that may signal the need for a slower pace or a consultation with your doctor
- Make changes in your lifestyle to reduce the risk of heart disease
- Follow the activity and exercise guidelines given to you in the hospital. Do not overdo it! Consider joining a cardiac rehabilitation program. Click on cardiac rehabilitation for more information
- Keep scheduled appointments and keep up with follow-up care as outlined by your doctor. Do not hesitate to call your doctor if you have questions or concerns
- Fill prescriptions and take all medicine as directed
- Follow-up with other clinic and outpatient appointments as recommended by your doctor