Birth Certificate Information

Birth Certificate

After the baby is born, you will be given a birth certificate worksheet to complete during your stay on our Mother/Baby Unit.  This worksheet will include personal information about yourself and your new baby.  This will include baby’s name, mother’s full name, mother’s maiden name (the name before you were married), date and place of birth, and Social Security number.  You will also need father’s full name, date and place of birth, and Social Security number.  Please have this information available and know that it is absolutely necessary for you to correctly spell all names. After the Birth Certificate Specialist enters the data into the computer, the birth certificate will be brought to you to obtain approval and appropriate signatures.  You will be given a “Mother’s Copy” of your baby’s birth certificate before you are discharged from our care.  If you must leave the hospital before signing the birth certificate and obtaining your Mother’s Copy, please contact the Birth Certificate Specialist at (731) 541-7819, within five days of the birth to make arrangements for verification and signatures.  It is difficult and costly to you to make corrections or changes after a birth certificate has been completed therefore, accuracy of information given is very important.

Information for Unmarried Parents

If the baby’s mother and father are not married, you have the option for completing a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit. (pending certain requirements)

  • For unmarried couples, a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit must be completed for the name of the baby’s father to be included on the birth certificate. Both parents must be age 18 or above,  otherwise, their parent/guardian must be present and sign their consent as well. 
  • For paternity affidavits, both parents and/or parent/guardians must be able to show a valid photo ID. 
  • All signatures on the Paternity Affidavit will be witnessed and notarized as an official state document by the Birth Certificate Specialist. 

Social Security Card

After obtaining the birth certificate information and getting appropriate signatures, our computer system automatically applies for your baby’s Social Security card.  The card will be mailed to the home address you provided for your hospital account.  This process can take up to six-eight weeks.  You may visit for more information, or call 1-800-772-1213. 

Birth certificate: How can I request a copy of my child's birth certificate?

After completing your child’s birth certificate information with the Birth Certificate Specialist, you will be given a “Mother’s Copy” prior to being discharged from the hospital.  You will use this form to mail a written request for your child’s official, state certified birth certificate.  It may take several weeks to obtain the birth certificate copy. The State of Tennessee charges $8 for the short form and $15 for the long form.  Payment must accompany the written request. 

You may also request a copy of your baby's birth certificate by contacting one of the following:

For information about a birth certificate request from the Tennessee Department of Vital Records.  This site allows you to submit the request online or by mail for a fee of $8-$15.

For information about obtaining the “short form” birth certificate from the Madison County Health Department, go to .   They are open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday.  Please contact their office for ID requirements at (731) 423-6020. The fee for a birth certificate is $8 for the first copy.

West Tennessee Healthcare (WTH) does not exclude, deny benefits to, or otherwise discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, Limited English Proficiency or sex, including discrimination based on gender identity, sexual orientation, sex stereotyping or pregnancy in admission to, participation in, or receipt of the services and benefits under any of its programs and activities, whether carried out by WTH directly or through a contractor or any other entity with which WTH arranges to carry out its programs and activities.