Note: Contact Guest Service to verify information
Job shadowing is a firsthand look at the daily experiences of healthcare professionals. This program is available to persons 16 years of age and up. Job shadowing is for observation purposes only and cannot be used as community service hours. Individuals will only be allowed to job shadow for a maximum of 40 hours total at all West Tennessee Healthcare facilities. Job shadowing is offered dependent on the area requested. See the Department Contacts page for a complete list of areas that allow job shadowing.
To be a part of the Job Shadow program, please complete the following process one week prior to observation.
For individuals who wish to observe eight (8) hours or less, you must complete the following process:
- Print and complete the West Tennessee Healthcare Job Shadow Application
- Read the West Tennessee Healthcare Management Guidebook Policy #7577
- Print and complete the Confidentiality Acknowledgement
- Read The HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) Privacy Rule review sheet
- Print and complete the HIPAA Privacy Rule Quiz
For those applying under the age of 18 (must be at least 16):
- Print and have a parent/guardian complete the Parent/Guardian Consent Form in addition to the guidelines listed above
For those who wish to obtain 9-40 hours of observation complete the following process in addition to the guidelines listed above:
- Submit proof of a one-step tuberculosis (TB) skin test within the past 12 months
- Submit proof of the following immunizations: MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Hepatitis B, Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Note: a titer (blood drawn to show proof of antibodies present) may be drawn if record of immunizations is not available. We will accept a healthcare statement that a titer was drawn and the antibodies were present
These documents should be submitted at the same time as the application, HIPAA quiz, and confidentiality acknowledgement, one week prior to observation date. West Tennessee Healthcare is not responsible for administering the TB skin test.
Please submit all paperwork to the Guest Resources office at Jackson-Madison County General Hospital. Address, fax number, and office hours are listed below:
Jackson-Madison County General Hospital
Attn: Guest Resources
620 Skyline Drive
Jackson, TN 38301
Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 – 4:30 p.m. For questions, please contact the Guest Resources office at 731-541-6153.
Once all paperwork has been verified, a Job Shadowing authorization form will be issued to the job shadower. This form should accompany the shadower on the day of observation and be filled out by the West Tennessee Healthcare staff who is responsible for the job shadower. This form must be returned to the Guest Resources office upon completion.
Once you have completed your online HIPAA training and have been issued the Job Shadowing authorization form, contact the area you are interested in observing to schedule an appointment. You will be given information regarding dress code, schedule, location, etc. You will be given a temporary sticker badge. This badge must be worn at all times during your observation. If you are unable to make your appointment, please be sure to call the area as soon as possible to cancel or reschedule if needed. Contact information is listed below:
North Hospital, Jackson
Debra Kay Moss, RT
731-661-2115 ext. 2147
NONDISCRIMINATION NOTICE STATEMENT
West Tennessee Healthcare (WTH) does not exclude, deny benefits to, or otherwise discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, Limited English Proficiency or sex, including discrimination based on gender identity, sexual orientation, sex stereotyping or pregnancy in admission to, participation in, or receipt of the services and benefits under any of its programs and activities, whether carried out by WTH directly or through a contractor or any other entity with which WTH arranges to carry out its programs and activities.
For further information about this policy, contact Amy Garner (731) 541-9914.